Wednesday, February 23, 2005

XUL & Images

XUL isn't friendly for images, as I discovered when prototyping up a quick and dirty product viewer. An image is worth a thousand words, so I hate it when they manage to skew what I'm trying to say.

XUL seems to suffer from stretchy image syndrome. I can put in a CSS max-width and max-height, but the image won't scale nicely - it will just bloat out until it reaches these values. I don't know if its a bug or a feature.

Suffice to say, I'm in a bind. It's either find a way to make it work as expected (like any image in a HTML document), or go with perfectly sized images for every single product in the point of sale system. The latter leaves a sour taste in my mouth, as I have every intention of making this an RDF-friendly application - Any URL for any image resource on any part of the net.

On the brighter side of things, after wallowing like a bloated otter (well, I imagine otters can bloat as well as wallow), I've finally cracked JPSpan. It's not as functional as I'd have wished, the documentation seems to have been set on fire then urinated upon from great height, but it's a better solution than any I could be bothered coming up with!
Also... it works!

I should do a tutorial post... JPSpan, PEAR::XML_XUL & 5 other reasons to nap before work in the near future.

No comments: