Thursday, June 05, 2014

A quick map of my current home automation

Here's a quick diagram I'm working on to depict my house's current state.


The dotted lines are projects that are in progress or not quite working as expected - for example, my Rootooth didn't do what I needed, my EnviR power meter is now installed (but not the second one for solar) but needs a bigger 433mhz aerial on the ninjablocks; and Huginn isn't yet deployed to an instance.

I can't quite tell who will win out of Zapier, IFTTT and Huginn yet - my money is on open source, though there's a long way to go.

Surprisingly, bluetooth is rarely in the mix - the roomba, and perhaps bluetooth for presence sensing would be about it.
UPnP is there for the airconditioner and XBMC, which boils down to HTTP. Ninjablocks is very HTTP oriented at the moment; but soon MQTT will take over a big chunk of its messaging.

ZWave, I have a stick but no devices - the cost was too high.



No comments: