Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Devil Came on Horseback

I just watched The Devil Came on Horseback last night.

It's about Sudan (Dafur), and one American experience (Brian Steidle) over there. He was a UN observer, former marine. Instead of being armed with a rifle, he was armed with a camera. The photos he took have to be among the most horrible things I've seen, and I can't express how it makes me feel.

If you watch the documentary, and then you read things like this:
In May 2006, the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur organized by United Nations "concluded that the Government of the Sudan has not pursued a policy of genocide ... [though] international offences such as the crimes against humanity and war crimes that have been committed in Darfur may be no less serious and heinous than genocide."[1]

... you really get angry about things.

I'd like to think I'm aware that your average person doesn't really care about some remote place in Africa, but having seen what Brian Steidle saw and the complete lack of action taken; it's something that really gets to you.

No comments: