Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Yahoo Widget Engine vs Google Desktop Search

I trawled through the "2000" or so widgets available for Konfabulator.

I got the "days till retirement" ticker, a HAL9000 widget, and one other: a coffee alarm.

Now while these things certainly look pretty, I am struck by the non-functional nature of them. My Google Desktop Search Sidebar handles: Google Talk, Email, ToDo and Scratch Pad, plus rapidly locating files. It would be nice to be able to float these elements around the place, ala Konfabulator, but I'm not too fussed. It would be nice also to stick MSN or GAIM into it, and tuck it away.

YWE however, doesn't appear to have anything really that useful: perhaps the Hash comparer widget isn't such a mundane idea, but there's nothing... stunning.

Where has all of the innovation gone?
Nothing here will change my computer usage habits much at all - the coffee break alarm, maybe.

Erstwhile, Jon has been watching the sunset, and I think that's a very, very nice idea - reminds me to stop working and admire the granduer of nature.

No comments: