Sunday, April 24, 2005

Write Once. Deploy Everywhere.

Upcoming.org client updated. Hell, I used enough PEAR style to perk the interest of Ryan King, so I've rolled out a PEAR compliant package, slightly improved documentation, and a few renamings.

Check it now!

Version 1.1.1
Two step install:
  1. pear install -fa XML_Serializer
  2. pear install -f http://www.ahsonline.com.au/Upcoming/Services_Upcoming-1.1.1.tgz
If you haven't looked at the PEAR methods for packaging and deploying code, you really should. It's dead simple. The tools make it really easy. I know I'm going to be using a lot more of the PEAR style of deployment for my future code!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey- Way to go on using the PEAR package. I agree that it makes things very easy. However, things could be easier for you...

If you add a dependency on XML_Serializer to your package.xml file, the pear installer will be sure that people have that installed before installing you package.

I've also noticed that you're using the @throws docblock element when you're not throwing any exceptions. Since you're actually returning things (Exceptions are something else), that information should really go in the @return item. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Dan said...

I know that exceptions are different, and that I'm slightly abusing @throws, but it best fits the error objects I spit out.

I suppose I should fix it, but... lazy!

Also there's an issue on dependancy with XML_Serializer - there's no stable release for it, so you have to force it to install.
If you try to install Services_Upcoming and force all (pear -fa Package) dependances, XML_Serializer chokes - thus, you do XML_Serializer first.

Find me a documentation ubergeek and make them massage my documentation up to scratch :)