Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Rolling With Ruby On Rails

Rolling with Ruby On Rails was the first thing I ever did in Ruby.

Wow.

Wow.

Just... really, really... wow.

Ruby doesn't impress me too much. Rails... where I can tell what's not Ruby... is simply amazing. PHP has a lot to learn from this.

The gist of it? I was able to whip up something that made forms straight from the database. Hell, it made the entire application from the database. I define my fields in the database and it makes the forms.

ZOOSH! (Zoom, and Whoosh... but it's Ruby on Rails, so they only need to do it once).

Everything is facetted... it's PHP's Smarty built into the application framework. Database abstraction... built in. Forms manger... built in. Want a new facet? Override the old, and whammo!

I'm going to have a go at getfridged with Ruby.

1 comment:

pixelrouge said...

Well i want to make a photography community site on the lines of www.gfxartist.com , www.terminus1525.ca, www.phirebrush.com

Where the community votes for every subbmission from a artist and can comment (like a forum)..

Now gfxartist has used probably SMARTY,php,and their own CMS.

terminus used Drupal,Gallery 2.Some one tells me that this combo is heavy on resources and slows down sites.

1. I need AJAX. SO finally it was decided that i use CMSmadesimple + G2 + SMARTY + xajax.
OR
2. Joomla + Community Builder + G2 bridge + dojo(for ajax).

But then i discovered Ruby on rails. And m amazed by what i see.
1. Now is there a CMS for ruby on reils, which one's the best choice for my app ?

2.Can G2 be intergrated with Ruby on rails(RoR).If no any other photo managment for RoR.

3.Is SMART needed at all...

4.any more advantages U would like to suggest..

Regards
rushi
pixelrouge@gmail.com